"Towards a Zero Carbon Community"
The Sustainable Youlgrave Constitution
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2007
‘Achieving sustainability through innovation, education and empowerment’
The organisation will be known as ‘Sustainable Youlgrave’ and will be used in all formal correspondence whether in writing, email or other electronic communications.
To reduce the environmental footprint of the community and achieve a sustainable structure and function for Youlgrave and the surrounding area.
Sustainable Youlgrave (‘the Organisation’) will have the power, in the furtherance of its objective to:
1. Obtain collect and receive monies in the way of grants, donations, subscriptions, legacies and gifts of any description.
2. Establish corporate bodies and trading organisations which will function under separate constitutions.
D) Management and Membership
1. The Organisation shall be run by a Committee consisting of Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and up to 7 further members, all of whom will be elected at the Annual General Meeting.
2. The officers and members will be elected for a period of one year, but will be eligible for re-election. However, they will not be able to serve more than five consecutive years.
3. The quorum for Committee meetings is 4.
4. An Annual General Meeting shall be held each year to receive an annual report and written accounts from the Treasurer, to elect officers and committee members and to deal with any other business which the Committee or members should raise.
5. The Annual General Meeting will be appropriately advertised 28 days before it takes place and shall be open to individuals and organisations who support the Objectives of the Organisation.
6. An Extraordinary General Meeting may be convened by the Chair at the request of no less than 4 members of the Organisation and/or member groups, or at the discretion of the Committee.
7. Adequate Minutes shall be kept of all meetings.
8. Voting at Committee meetings shall be taken by a show of hands or by a secret ballot, at the Chair’s discretion. In the event of an equal number of votes for and against a motion, the Chair will be entitled to a second or casting vote.
9. Membership of Sustainable Youlgrave shall be open to all individuals and groups interested in the development of its objectives.
10. Sustainable Youlgrave shall be non-political in its dealings and activities and shall not advocate the cause of any political party.
1. Other than through subsidiary trading bodies, the Organisation shall not be run for the private profit of a member or members. Any balance at the end of the year shall be carried over and devoted to the Objectives of the organisation.
2. No members, or Committee members, shall receive payment directly or indirectly for their services or for anything other than legitimate expenses incurred in work for the organisation.
3. The Organisation shall not be wound up except by a resolution of three quarters of those present at a Special Meeting called for that purpose. In the event of a winding up, the remaining funds of the organisation shall not be distributed among members but be passed to other Youlgrave Parish based bodies considered worthy by majority vote.
F) Amendments to the Constitution
This Constitution may be amended by resolution at the AGM or an EGM. Amendments will be agreed by simple majority vote. The terms of the proposed amendment must be contained in the publicised agenda.